Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Vander Plaats: Republicans should be held to higher standard on family values



Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob Vander Plaats of Sioux City tells the Carroll Daily Times Herald that his party should be held to a higher standard when it comes to values questions of the sort now swirling around South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, an admitted adulterer.

While extra-marital affairs occur in both parties, it is fair to judge Republicans more harshly on such matters, Vander Plaats said.

"I think its an added dimension for our party," Vander Plaats said. "The reason I say that is we highlight one man-one woman marriage. We highlight family values. And if we do that that's where the trust comes in. Are you going to walk the walk or just talk the talk."

He added, "As Republicans if we are going to highlight that, that puts us to higher standard."

The party is searching for ways to attract new voters and authenticity is key, said Vander Plaats.

"We talk just recently family values and we get Governor Sanford," Vander Plaats said.

Should Sanford resign?

"I think what it is is a compromise of his leadership and I think honestly he has a family in crisis," Vander Plaats said. "I think he needs to put his attention on the family right now. If I was counseling him I would say, 'Governor Sanford, not only for your state but I believe for you and your family I'd resign.'"

1 comment:

Inspector Clouseau said...

From my perspective, the issue is quite simple. Rightly or wrongly, he has lost a substantial number of people who are willing to support him, place confidence in him, and trust him. A leader needs as many people believing in him or her as possible.

As for resignation, http://www.tinyurl.com/n3vlg3